Update: I prepared this dish with my little sister on KMVT/CBS 11. She was kind enough to invite sommelier Jon Melone of The Winers Blog on the show to pair the perfect wine with this dish. You can find his recommendation here.
Caramelized Tofu with Lime and Mint Recipe
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup tamari or soy sauce
1/2 cup peeled and sliced shallot
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 limes)
2 pounds tofu, cut into 1″ cubes and blotted dry
1/4 cup fresh mint, cut in chiffonade
1) Heat a large, deep skillet over medium high heat. When hot, add one cup of sugar and a few tablespoons of water. Sugar will bubble and turn into a liquid. The liquid will brown and caramelize in about ten minutes.
2) Mix tamari and 1/2 cup water. Step back from the skillet (as there will be splashing) and add liquid. Use a whisk to stir until liquid is incorporated into liquid. This will take about two minutes.
3) Add shallots and cook until softened, about five minutes.
4) Add tofu until warmed through and slightly puffed up. Stir in lime juice and black pepper.
5) Sprinkle mint on top of tofu and sauce.
This dish would go well with long grain brown rice, a fresh green salad and a quick saute of your favorite veggies.